Monday, May 23, 2011





Silverback is the new kid on the block as fare as bike manufactures go but, there already making an impression on the Australian mountain bike scene. The Segma 29er in Silverbacks range is fast becoming a popular model.

What do you get straight out of the box? German engineered Alloy frame, Reba Sl forks, ZTR wheelset Tubeless ready, XT 10 speed drive train, Silverbacks own brand bars, stem and post. The only real draw back for some people would be the SLX brakes but, when you add it all up you get a race ready bike for $3000. It’s a very competitive bike build and price.

My own bike has been has had afew upgrades, it runs full XTR 2X10 with RavX carbon stem and post and a set of orange Esi grips thrown onand I have a secret weapon on the xc endurance scene.


To the ride: I have never ridden a 29er before this one, so being on big wheels was going to be a massive shock to the system, at least the impression I had. After some tuning around the backyard it was time to hit the trails, I head to Bunya in Brisbane for a bit of testing. Straight into the first bit of single track the Segma felt right at home. I was amazed by how agile the bike handled through every twist and turn. Having bigger wheels the tree rooted sections and rock gardens were almost effortless to tackle. Descending I didn’t feel at a disadvantage being on the Segma 29er and climbing was great, having a bit more rubber on the track definitely helps with traction. I felt well balanced over the bike also.

Last weekend saw me race it for about 14hrs at the Merida 24hr. The bike was comfortable all the way through and it almost felt like cheating on the fire road sections I almost felt bad for the other competitors riding micro wheels [26 inch]. During the race I was asked whether I felt any fatigue from being on the Alloy frame apposed to being on a carbon. To be honest I don’t really know last year saw me racing a full carbon dual suspension this year a 29er hard tail Alloy. I felt I could have ridden it for the entire 24hr and still had smile on my face.

To sum it up: The Segma 29er is a ready to race bike straight out of the box at a competitive price. On the XC scene, this will bike will do it all and I don’t really run into anyone else on the trails that has one either. Rumour has it theres going to be a carbon version out fro 2012.


Can’t wait for it.

No comments:


Daves shop

Daves shop
Big thanks to Pedal Pwr for their support