Friday, February 13, 2009

Ay Up D2D

After a quick stop at Brisbane Airport to pick up Crummy, a good mate of mine, we headed straight down for the D2D. We got to the track at about 330pm and Pearso [new nick name Sling Shot] and Kel had already set up camp. I quickly ripped my bikes off the roof and went for a practice lap. The course itself had changed heaps from the Verticon 6hr held last November. The track was a 6km loop made up of switch backs, a fair bit of grass, some loose sandy sections and a few little rock gardens, but over all was not to technical.

Before I knew it, it was time to head over for the riders brief and get into a position for the start. Crummy and I settled into the second row while Andy and Bellie were on the start ready to rip it up, Sling shot was back in the Pack. The gun went and as expected the start was fast and Andy and Bellie were gone, I had a good start and as i usually do went out pretty hard for the first lap then tried to settle into a rhythm. Well like most good plans they fail. My first 6 or so laps were good but then my stomach start tying itself in knots. I stopped at the pits and got some encouragment from my crew and at the same time Crummy passed me. By this stage I think I was in 6th position. I decided to stop with the gels and just live off my Perpetuem [Hammer Nutrition product], this plan worked out and after a lap i had caught crummy up and started to feel better. Whilst i had finally found my rhythm i still had alot of work to do to try for a top 3 finish with fellow Ay UP rider Matt having about 10 minutes on me. I am not sure what lap i was on but coming into a corner after the long grass straight I hear Bellie telling me to jump on the Ay Up train and it was then i knew that i was about to be lapped and this was also my opportunity to make up some ground on 3rd. To my suprise i picked up the tempo and was able to hang on the back of Bellie and Andy Fellows wheel for a lap or so. By this stage it was about 1 am. I had all my lines down pat was in a good rhythm and my crew telling me i was making up time on 3rd and i also put a lap on Crummy. [Anyone who knows me and Crummy will tell you it does not matter what race we are in, as far as we are concerned the race is between us]. By daylight i had managed to get up into third and had a small break on 4th [matt] I pulled into my pit at about 5am and was handed a coffee and told all i had to do was keep it consistant if not try and step it up a little if i could. In the last hr of riding i managed to hold off Matt and also put another lap on Crummy. By the finish Bellie 1st [31 laps] Andy Fellows [ 30 laps] myself [ 30 laps] Crummy[28 laps] and Matt [ 27 laps] slingshot finished on 16 laps.

I want to say thanks to Chris, Nat,Kiri, Kel, and Boo for all the help that you gave all of us in the pits and without you guys i couldn't have achieved my 3rd. Also to Slingshot for giving me a run up the hills every time i came across you on the track. I also need to say thanks to the support crews from Ay UP and around the track that cheered me on the whole race, it was great and makes 12hrs on the bike just a little easier.

No comments:

Daves shop

Daves shop
Big thanks to Pedal Pwr for their support